Job duties specific to this position:
Responsible for residents assigned to his/her care with respect to the following general list of duties:
- Performs resident care according to policy/procedure and standards as delegated by the NM, CC, RN, or Charge Nurse.
- Assists in maintaining a clean and safe environment for the resident, visitors, and other staff.
- Recognizes and responds to emergent situations efficiently and effectively.
- Assists the resident with ADLs and any special care needs as indicated on the resident care assignment sheet.
- Sets priorities according to resident’s needs, organizing and reprioritizing work throughout the shift.
- Ensures necessary supplies/equipment for patient care are available and stored efficiently.
- Observes residents for specific signs and symptoms as instructed by team leaders.
- Reports changes in the resident’s behavior or condition to the team leader.
- Demonstrates appropriate knowledge base and technical skills when performing resident care. Uses skills and knowledge according to resident’s identified geriatric and age-related needs. Demonstrates understanding of role limitations relating to patient care.
- Documents resident care accurately using appropriate tool and in a timely manner.
- Ability to be involved with family members or other support persons while providing care.
Responsible for following the facility/departmental policies and procedures:
- Adheres to all infection control and safety policies and procedures.
- Adheres to Resident Rights and confidentiality regulations.
- Completes annual competencies.
- Operates patient care equipment in accordance with policy and procedure. Obtains, cleans and returns equipment. Takes appropriate action to ensure broken equipment is repaired.
- Adheres to nursing dress code. Arrives to work on time for assigned shift prepared to work. Adheres to clocking procedures per protocol.
- Complies with all other facility and management policies, procedures and requirements.
Works cooperatively with all members of the health care team:
- Cooperates with leadership staff in implementing planned changes and activities to improve resident’s care or overall functioning of the clinical unit.
- Responds to and handles situations in an appropriate manner following the chain of command for resolution.
- Accepts assignments in a professional manner.
- Maintains the highest level of customer service when assisting the resident’s family and visitors, as required and consistent with unit policy.
- Assists other staff members with resident care.
- Participates with the team in the care planning process and change of shift report.
- Adapts to changes in job responsibilities in a professional manner.
- Assists with orientation of new staff as requested.
- Communicates effectively within the health team and its members.
- Performs a variety of specific functions as assigned by the Nurse Manager/Clinical Coordinator/Charge Nurse/Nursing Supervisor for which they are properly trained.
- Welcomes new staff or float staff to unit.
Participates in Loretto’s Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement Program:
- Demonstrates understanding of their role in the QA/QI process.
- Participates in data collection as requested.
- Actively participates in solving problems identified by QA/QI.
- Responds with appropriate performance to results obtained from QA/QI indicators.
- Participates in staff development programs to improve skills and to contribute toward the improvement of resident care.
- Completes a minimum of 12 hours in-services annually.
Responsible for identifying own educational/training needs:
- Participates in staff meetings, communication systems, and self-study in-services. Reads and signs off on all self-study n-services and all pertinent education materials in addition to mandatory in-services.
- Brings to annual evaluation ALL required paperwork necessary as directed by re-orientation letter.
- Completed annual health assessment.
- Completed annual reorientation.
- Completed required annual competencies.
Job expectations for all Loretto employees:
- Promotes and role models the mission, values, vision and strategic goals of Loretto in all interactions with staff, peers, residents, family members, vendors and visitors. Treats people with dignity, professionalism and kindness.
- Demonstrates excellent internal and external customer service skills such as friendly greeting, making eye contact, listening attentively, responding in a timely manner, showing respect and empathy and acting as a role model for staff and peers.
- Demonstrates excellent work attendance, reliability and work ethics. Arrives at facility on time for assigned shift and prepared to work.
- Attends and actively participates in required meetings and training sessions including reorientation.
- Complies with established policies, procedures, and codes of conduct at all times (e.g., dress code policy).
- Adheres to all health and safety requirements, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Practices and teaches safety awareness. Identifies and reports or corrects any possible safety or environmental issues.
- Understands all HIPAA and other compliance & regulatory requirements associated with their role, including completion of required internal or external training/certifications.